Te Puia O Whakaari - The Dramatic
Marley, 8The full Maori name for White Island is Te Puia o Whakaari meaning the volcano. On 1st October 1769 Captain Cook named it White Island because it looked like a cloud of white steam. It is situated off the East of the North Island. It is our most active. It was used to mine sulphur back in the old days as people used sulphur for medicine. Today White Island has been identified as an important bird area because of it's breeding colony of about 3000 pairs of Australasian gannets.